Saturday, October 18, 2014

Making Connections

In Reader's Workshop, we are discussing "connections."

 -What does it mean to make a connection? 
-How are connections made in the world around us?
 -How does this relate to me as a reader?
-What does this story remind me of?

We used dot-to-dots to introduce "connections." The kids LOVED it! We discussed how the lines from one dot to another make connections to help us see and understand what the picture is.  The same thing happens when we read a story. We find pictures, phrases, or clues within a story that remind us of something that has happen to us, a place where we have been, another story we have read, or even things within the world around us.  Wow! We make connections more than we think!


 
Then, we talked about different types of things that connect (make connections). For example, Legos, puzzles, and Velcro pieces connect to each other.

How does this apply to me as a reader? Theses physical items are like our brains. The items are the new information that we are learning. Each time we add another piece of information to our schema, we find "connections" that helps us understand. We really enjoyed the visuals that help us understand connections. 



Lastly, we practiced making connections with different books. One book we read was If You Take a Mouse to School. After reading, we discussed our connections and what we would do if you were to take us to school.



"If you take me to school, I will ask you for a ride on the slide."



Favour said: "If you take me to school, I will ask you for a snack."

Reese said: "If you take me to school, I will ask you for a cookie."

Scotty said: "If you take me to school, I will ask you for a lunch box."

Kennedy said: "If you take me to school, I will ask you for a pencil and a crayon,
and paper."

Ojas said: "If you take me to school, I will ask you to play basketball."