Saturday, September 1, 2012

Growing Readers and Writers

In Kindergarten, we want to build a foundation for our students to grow and succeed. 
One way we do this is by creating a love for reading and writing

This week, we made our very first class book, read 
many wonderful stories, and wrote about ourselves.

Here are some of our wonderful creations:

We got to explore our classroom book boxes.



Tagg is reading "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie."
Aiden is enjoying a great book!

Reading is so much fun! 



In addition to books, we want kids reading 
other literature pieces, such as poems.
Our poem this week was called "School."
We illustrated our poem and then placed it into our poetry journal.







We went on a LETTER HUNT!
After reading Chicka Chicka, Boom Boom, we wanted to find more letters. 
We used a circle map and magazines to find our first initial.
See some of my friends fantastic letter circle maps!
Addison is finding the letter "A."
One friend is looking for "T."






We read  Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten
It was such a fun book!
Then, we created our own class book about our friends.
We used our first letter of our names and came up with something 
we liked that started with the same letter. 
Lastly, we put it all together to complete the sentence.

T my name is Tavin and I like the Titanic. 
S my name is Sophia and I like seashells.
L my name is Lathyn and I like lizards.
A my name is Addison and I like apples.

After we created our book pages, I put them all together into a class
book that will be in our library nook for the kids to read everyday.