Saturday, September 3, 2016

Flexible Seating

Flexible Seating for my Stars!

This year, I wanted to try something different. I wanted my students to feel more at home at school, enjoy their classroom, and have a choice in where/how they learn.
When I heard and researched "flexible seating" I found that this might be one of the best ways to help my students be successful. So, what is flexible seating anyway?


Flexible classrooms give students a choice in what kind of learning space works best for them, and help them to work collaboratively, communicate, and engage in critical thinking.
Since implementing flexible classrooms, research as shown that it:
  • Students seem happier and they are more engaged.
  • It gives them choice in their learning.
  • Students participate more and have more invigorating conversations.
Check out some of the options we started using for flexible seating this last week during Reader's Workshop. 
We are using our yoga mats, cushions, pillows, low-top table, chairs, and rugs. 

In addition, here are a few links to some great articles about flexible seating if you are interested: