Sunday, February 9, 2014

Character Traits and Small Moments



In Reader's Workshop, we read Goldilocks and The Three Bears.
We discussed Goldilocks' character traits and actions.
We learned that character traits can describe a character in a story
and their actions. 

Here is what we came up with about Goldilocks:



As writers, we are working on adding details not only to our pictures, but to our words.
Good writers ask themselves these questions while they write:
-Who is my story about?
-Where is it taking place?
-What is happening and why?




In addition, we are focusing on "small moments" in our writing.
We used a watermelon as an analogy for our small moments.

Good writers think of a big topic (like a watermelon..it's BIG and broad)
Then, we zoom in a little bit more and add 
more detail about that moment (like a smaller slice of watermelon)
Last, a small moment is like a small watermelon seed. 
It gives our writing audience the most detail about our topic!


Small moment writing example:
Big topic: Pumpkin Patch
Smaller topic: I picked a pumpkin.
Small moment: I picked a small, orange pumpkin at the patch.
I put my pumpkin in my backpack and brought it home with me.
I carved my pumpkin into a jack'o'latern for Halloween.